“Better Know a Prospect” will be a offseason/post season/summer series of posts profiling both the better known and lesser known Caps prospects in the various levels of the Capitals system
Name: Oscar Hedman
Born: April 21, 1986 (from Ornskoldsvik, Sweden)
Height/Weight: 6’0″ and 207 lbs
Current Team: Frölunda Hockey Club in the Elitserien in Sweden
Drafted: 2004 (5th round, 132nd overall)
Strength/Weakness: Strong though short
- Elder brother of sexy beast Tampa Bay Lightening Defenseman Viktor Hedman
- Used to have possibly the most embarrassing haircut I’ve seen
- From a town described as having “But with little to offer except a faint smell of rotten fish when the wind blows from the direction of the pulp mill a few miles away”
- Wears #41 for the Indians
- Make him your computer backround…
- “led MODO’s U20 team to the gold medal. Hedman was also Sweden’s best player in the U18 World Junior Championships.”
- No word on when or if he plans to come play in a North American league in the near future.
Oscar Hedman is a defenseman who is described as being built like a tank. He’s has a smart two-way game and is well-known for his good hockey sense. Described on Eliteprospects.com as
A strong two-way defenseman. Hedman is not overly physical, but has very good hockey sense which he usually uses to solve tricky situations. Is pretty mobile, although acceleration could use improvement. Furthermore a skilled passer, but with a not so good release.
He is not overly offensive but has at least a few goals and assists a season. He is also not overly physical but will get into the corners with other players. He can be useful on the power play. Hockey’s Future rates him a 5.5 translating to them thinking he would be a lower pairing defenseman. Oscar sounds like he could be fairly useful in the NHL particularly for a team like the Capitals who are so offensively minded they need a few real defensive defenseman on the roster but perhaps not as a top 2 defensive pairing.